Friday, October 23, 2015

FT Tiny Trainer landing gear

I bashed up the powered nose of my Tiny Trainer pretty good so I needed to replace it.

On the flitetest website, you can download plans to build their models. I went to the tiny trainer page and printed out the panels that have the powered nose and doublers.

Apparently when I printed it, I did so at like 103% or something by accident because the longer measurements were off by a bit. The shorter dimensions were close enough to be fine. I had to make the holes for the skewers in slightly different places to make it all work.

A bonus side effect of this mistake was that the nose was about a half cm taller than the old one.

Notice the gap at the bottom with a little foam piece in the middle













What I decided to do was to use this gap to run a piece of wire hangar through to put wheels on. The hangar goes in from the front and then behind that little foam piece in the middle. The back part of the fuselage comes forward to that piece and retains the wire.




I made some wheels by tracing out D cell batteries and stacking 3 of them to make it thick enough. I drilled a hole in the middle (or close to it) to run the wire through and then bent it up. Since this pic, I added some hot glue balls to the corner between the axles and the upright to keep the wheel from migrating around that bend.

Here it is taxiing across my basement floor. Seems to work well enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment