Monday, November 2, 2015

Baby Baron Build

I was bored one evening and had some extra foam board so I decided to try to make a mini RC plane. The Tiny Trainer I have has about a 3 foot wingspan so I aimed for something around 1 foot. I found plans for the Baby Baron. It only uses about 1 board of foam and it uses the same motor pod as the Tiny Trainer. I will need some extra 5g servos though. I did a quick search and then ordered some HXT500s which I think will do it.


All the parts cut out and ready to be assembled.


The sub components together.



Finished airframe.

All together it took about 2-3 hours to cut the plans, cut the parts, and then glue them together. This was my first scratch build. The precision of some of the cut outs is not perfect and the wing seems like it's slightly out of square. The left wing is about 1 degree forward of even. I am sure it will fly well enough.

In order to actually install the electronics, I needed to build new control horns and a firewall. I made them from an old credit card.


They seem to be good enough to move the control surfaces.

Here's a pic of the guts. The receiver is in the back. The esc and the battery are velcro'd to the sides but as close to the centerline as possible.


It seems to balance all right but only a test flight will confirm. The motor is a multistar elite 2204. It's reverse threaded though (I bought CCW as I thought that was normal, but apparently not) so I need some reverse threaded nylock nuts to keep the props on.



No comments:

Post a Comment